What kind of future do you wish for you and your community? What would you be willing to give to support the future of your dreams?
This year we received 213 applications from grassroots, trans justice groups and projects led by trans and non-binary people, organizing their communities locally and nationally. The groups and projects we fund are busy working for justice and liberation for trans communities with each breath they take, all year long, and we’re honored to invite you–yes, YOU to join us in keeping our cherished trans communities well supported and resourced!
To date, TJFP has distributed more than $4.5 million dollars through our community-led grantmaking process. This has been a by us, for us effort, and it’s because of all of you who have provided so much community love and support that we are able to get all this done.
This year we’re raising 90k to celebrate 9 years of funding trans justice!
Please join us by pitching in a dollar or whatever you can to ensure our trans justice groups can not only keep their doors open and lights on, but have what they need to continue dreaming big, creating the future we all need and deserve.
So let’s raise some money together and uplift and resource our trans leaders today because, Our Future is NOW!
Happy Trans Awareness Week! Were you aware that…
– For every $100 awarded by U.S. foundations, only .04 cents supports transgender communities.
– In 2016, a survey of 455 trans justice groups across the globe found that only half of these groups had any paid staff at all–meaning that the rest are doing life-saving work with little to no compensation.
– Trans organizations often operate with very low budgets: three-quarters of our grantees in 2019 had annual budgets under $50,000, as did three-quarters of the groups worldwide from the survey above.
Are you also aware that…
– Trans community, trans activism, and trans leadership have persisted throughout time. Grassroots, BIPOC- and trans-led groups like STAR (co-founders Sylvia Rivera and Marsha P. Johnson pictured above) have worked to feed, house, and care for our trans siblings for decades. Despite so many barriers to resources, we have fought with ferocity and love, and we will continue to do so!
– You can discover more about our amazing grantees through our website’s interactive map and lists of grantees from our 8 years of funding! No matter the political changes occurring on the national stage, the grassroots are where the effects will be felt–and where so much of the vital work will be done. Take a look at the work that’s happening in your area. We encourage you to donate, volunteer, or do what you can to support!
Funders for LGBTQ Issues–2018 Tracking Report
American Jewish World Service, Astraea, and Global Action for Trans Equality–The State of Trans Organizing, 2nd Edition
Trans Justice Funding Project–2019 Annual Report
“The word legacy keeps coming into my head. We’re a cohort within this legacy of trans people who have made these funding decisions; everybody who applies to TJFP is entering into this legacy; and TJFP is leaving a legacy of how to do this work. There’s a need for doing funding in ways that center community needs, and I think TJFP does that really well.” – “Matters of the Heart in a Movement,” Micky Bradford, 2019 TJFP Fellow, TJFP 2019 Annual Report
Dear Friends, family and community,
As 2020 unfolds and we approach our eighth year of grantmaking, TJFP is more than ever before committed to supporting and uplifting the liberatory work of our trans justice community. In 2019, we were able to move $750,000 to 186 grassroots trans-led groups around the country!
And we’ve released our stunning, 2019 annual report and for the first time, we’ve included a copy of our application and a highlight about each and every one of the 186 trans-led grassroots groups that received a grant in 2019. Inside this gorgeous cover you’ll find words from TJFP staff and friends, powerful conversations with our 2019 grantmaking fellows, and so much more. We hope you’ll find it to be an enlightening and empowering resource!
Thank you so much for being a part of the TJFP community. Thank you to all of the amazing trans-led groups organizing around the country, our donors who provide unwavering support, the world’s best volunteers, cheerleaders, friends, and family! We need each and every one of you to continue to believe in grassroots trans justice.
We’re here because of you. Thank you for trusting and supporting trans leadership alongside us!